- Serves: n/a
- Source: n/a
- Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
- Date: n/a
This is just one of over 9,000 recipes we've collected since early 1996. Many of these recipes have been passed down from family member to family member and then shared with friends and then, with SecretRecipes.com. When it comes to recipes, the real secret is that all of our recipes always have been, and always will be free!
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Sauté bacon in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp; transfer bacon to paper towels. Drain bacon drippings from pot, except for about 2 to 3 tablespoons.
- Season beef generously with salt and pepper; coat with 1/3 cup flour. Working in 3 batches, brown beef in same pot over medium-high heat, add bacon drippings, as needed.Transfer meat to large bowl.
- Add onions and carrots to same pot and sauté until golden brown. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Transfer vegetables to bowl with beef.
- Add 1 cup broth and Cognac to pot; boil until reduced to glaze, scraping up browned bits, about 8 minutes.
- Return meat, vegetables and their juices to pot. Add wine, mushrooms, thyme, sugar, tomato paste and 2 cups broth. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cover pot and place in oven. Cook, about 1 1/2 hours, until meat is fork tender, removing cover last 30 minutes of cooking.
You may also like