- Makes: 3 Dozen
- Source: Shoprite Super Markets Italian Cookbook
- Submitted by: Janet Morrissey
- Date: n/a
This is just one of over 9,000 recipes we've collected since early 1996. Many of these recipes have been passed down from family member to family member and then shared with friends and then, with SecretRecipes.com. When it comes to recipes, the real secret is that all of our recipes always have been, and always will be free!
- Combine flour and baking powder. In large mixer bowl beat butter and sugar until blended. Beat in eggs, lemon peel, almond extract and saffron. Beat in flour mixture until well blended. Stir in almonds.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 12x2x1-inch loaf. Place 6 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Beat the egg white until foamy.
- Brush over tops of loaves. Bake in 375F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Cool on cookie sheet about 1 hour.
- Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices. Lay slices, cut side down, on cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 325° F oven 10 minutes longer or until dry and crisp. Cool on wire rack. These cookies are good made several days ahead and stored in a paper bag to soften slightly.
- To store longer, place in a covered container.
You may also like