A&W-style Chili Dog
- 2 oz hot dogs, beef (7 1/2-inch long)
- 1 hot dog roll
- 1 Tbsp white onion, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp mild cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 lb ground chuck (A&W-style Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce)
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp dried onions (minced)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground (heaping)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- diced onions
In a 2 quart saucepan, brown the ground chuck, breaking into very small pieces. Salt and pepper lightlywhile cooking. Do not drain the fat. Add the remaining ingredients.
Simmer, uncovered, 30−45 minutes until it thickens. Stir occasionally. Allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Bring a 2 quart saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add the desired number of frankfurters to the water.
Cover and let sit about 10 minutes. After the franks are done, microwave the desired amount of chili dog sauce until steaming. Then microwave each roll 10 seconds, just enough to warm.
Remove the cooked franks with tongs, and place on the microwaved hot dog roll. Add about 3 Tablespoons of your prepared sauce and the chopped onion. Top with diced onions. Grated cheddar cheese is optional.Makes 8 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page