The Lady and Sons Butter Beans and Okra
- 1 ham hock (about 1/2 lbs) - break it down with a knife, if possible
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (16 oz.) package frozen butter beans or fresh butter beans
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp The Lady's House Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp Texas Pete hot sauce or 1 small hot pepper (fresh or dried)
- Okra pods, fresh or frozen (if desired)
Put the ham hock in a stockpot and add the water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The longer you cook the hock, the stronger your stock will be.
When the meat is done you may find that you need to add more water (sometimes I need 2 cups more). Add the beans, butter, House Seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce, and return the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the beans are done to your liking.
To make your beans extra special, drop pods of fresh or frozen okra in the pot for the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time.Makes 4 Submitted by: Recipe Group Member Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page