Mader's Black Forest Torte
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole eggs (about 8 to 10 large)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- Vanilla extract, to taste
- Kirschwasser, to taste (German cherry brandy)
- 1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- 3 half-pints whipped topping or sweetened
- whipped cream to measure at least 4 cups
- 1 (17 oz.) can dark-sweet cherries, drained
- Chocolate shavings
Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in bowl. Mix well. Add eggs, sugar, milk, shortening and vanilla. Whip on high speed 10 minutes. Pour into 2 greased 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 325° F for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
Cool cake layers, then slice each layer into 2 layers using serrated knife. Sprinkle each layer with some of kirschwasser.
Put one layer on serving platter. Using a large pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, pipe circle of cream around circumference of cake layer. Make circle of cherry filling inside circle of cream. Continue alternating circles until layer is covered. Top with remaining cake layers, covering each in same manner. Frost entire cake with cream.
With the same pastry bag, make 16 rosettes out of the remaining cream. Put cherry in center of each rosette, then sprinkle top and sides of cake with chocolate shavings.Makes 12 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page