- Yields: n/a
- Source: n/a
- Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
- Date: n/a
This is just one of over 9,000 recipes we've collected since early 1996. Many of these recipes have been passed down from family member to family member and then shared with friends and then, with SecretRecipes.com. When it comes to recipes, the real secret is that all of our recipes always have been, and always will be free!
- Unroll the turnover dough. Stretch four pieces out to about 4 x 5-inch rectangles on wax paper.
- Spread 1/2 of the pie filling on one dough, and the other half on another, leaving about 1/2 inch of dough around edges. Clear a 3/4-inch space lengthwise down the middle of both.
- Place the remaining two doughs on top of the two with the filling. Crimp the edges. This will look like two giant pop-tarts. Cut both of them precisely down the middle, in the 3/4-inch space. Crimp those two edges.
- Manipulate as needed to form an attractive, uniform shaped pie. They should look like small burritos, only crimped around the edges.
- Place all four, flat on wax paper, in the freezer.
- After about 45 minutes, spray all sides of each pie with water mist. Return to the freezer for at least another hour.
- Place in a freezer bag and seal for future use, or deep-fry them.
- Preheat deep fryer to 375° F. Preheat oven to warm.
- Quickly dip a frozen pie in cold water, making sure to immerse it entirely. Drop the pie into the hot oil. Be careful as it will probably splatter. After all the pies are in the fryer, place the spare fryer basket over the top, sandwiching the pies between the two baskets. This ensures the pies are fully submerged. It is important that the pies are fully submerged or a good portion of it won't cook correctly. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, checking after 5 minutes. They should be golden brown. The older the oil, the sooner it will turn brown, and that may give you a false reading. Six minutes is generally good.
- After deep frying, carefully remove the cooked pies and drain for 1 minute on paper towels. Place directly on the oven rack in warmed oven. Warm for at least 10 minutes, and as long as 30 minutes.
- CAUTION: These are hot.
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
You may also like