Rancho de Tia Rosa Mexican Rice
- 1 (16 oz.) can whole tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil or bacon drippings
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles, drained, or 3 Tbsp finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken or beef stock
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, to taste
Put tomatoes and their liquid into a 1-pint measuring cup. Using the edge of a knife, break tomatoes into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add rice, stirring frequently, and cook until rice begins to brown. Add onion and carrots and cook until onions begin to soften. Lower heat, if necessary, to prevent rice from getting too dark. Stir in garlic.
Add tomatoes and their liquid, green chiles (or peppers), chicken or beef stock, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring liquid to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page