Rock Bottom Brewery Venison Stew
- 2 lbs venison tenderloin
- Kosher salt to coat venison
- 1 cup butter to sauté vegetables
- 4 cups diced yellow onions
- 4 cups diced celery
- 4 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 quarts mixed mushrooms, saut?ed
- 1 quart lingonberries*
- 3 quarts homemade beef stock (or beef base mixed with water, or beef broth)
- 8 large bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup flour mixed with 1 cup water
- 6 cups cooked wild rice
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Generously rub venison with salt to create a salt cast. Set in roasting pan and cook uncovered in preheated oven 45 minutes. Remove from oven, cool slightly, then remove salt cast and discard salt. Cut meat into bite-size pieces.
Melt butter in large stockpot. Add onions and saut?. Add celery and carrots; cook until tender. Add mushrooms and lingonberries. Add reserved venison, stock and bay leaves.
Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thicken stew slightly by gradually adding flour and water mixture. The liquid should thicken to consistency of a medium gravy. Serve over wild rice.
* Lingonberries are available at specialty stores in jars or cans. If only available packed in syrup, drain and rinse off syrup before using. If available packed in natural juices, the juices can be added to the stew.Makes 8 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page