Andiamo Bar and Restaurant-style Pasta e Fagiolo
- 1 (12 oz.) can cannellini beans, great northern, or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lbs. rigatoni, penne or other preferred pasta
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh green Swiss chard, washed thoroughly and stemmed removing most of the white core and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (12 oz.) can tomato purée
- 1 tsp dry oregano or 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Romano Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Sauté garlic, onions celery, and red pepper for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, Purée and oregano. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Add beans and parsley. If too thick, add 1 cup water or chicken broth. Simmer for an additional 6-8 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta. Just before the pasta is done add the cleaned chard to the water and cook for another minute until blanched.
Drain the pasta with the chard and combine with the sauce, saving a little sauce to put on top.
Top with freshly grated Romano cheese and serve.
OPTIONS: Add 1/4 cup julienned strips of prosciutto ham. Substitute fresh spinach for Swiss chard. Use ditalini (salad macaroni) or other small pasta, thin with water or chicken broth if desired, and serve as a hearty soup.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page