Applebee's-style Cheese Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato purée
- 1 Tbsp finely minced jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lbs. cooked chicken, cubed or pulled
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup non-fat sour cream
- 4 oz processed cheese, 1-inch cubes
- 10 (6-inch) colored or yellow corn tortillas, 1/4-inch strips, fried
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
Add numbers 4 through 13. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or spray with oil and bake at 400° F (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if desired.
Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in sour cream and cheese (more or less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165° F serving temperature.
After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup.
Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.Makes 6 to 8 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page