El Cholo's-style Cheese Enchiladas
- 6 corn tortillas, softened
- 12 oz shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 12 oz grated aged Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce (recipe follows)
- 3 oz green onion, chopped
Preheat oven to 350° F. In a small baking dish, top each softened tortilla with equal amounts cheese, reserving some for top, and 1 tablespoon of marinated onions.
Roll up and place into dish, seam side down.
Top with enchilada sauce and remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and garnish with green onion.
Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 dried California chiles
- 2 dried pasilla chiles
- 1/2 can tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fine ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano or 1 tsp dried Italian oregano
- 1 tsp beef base
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 qt water
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp shortening
Combine all ingredients, except flour and shortening. Boil for 1 1/2 hours. During the last 15 minutes, combine flour and shortening into a roux and add slowly to the sauce as it boils, until it thickens.
Cook over medium heat for another 45 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.Makes 6 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page