El Paso BBQ Company-style Jalapeño Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup egg yolk
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper, plus
- 3 Tbsp minced green bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp diced pimentos
- 1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn (frozen or fresh)
Heat oven to 350°s; F.
Grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan or 8 x 8-inch square pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, sugar, salt, flour, baking powder and baking soda.
In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk, eggs and oil with an electric mixer. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and stir well.
Stir in the onion, green pepper, jalapeños, pimentos and corn. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If using a square pan, check bread for doneness after 12-15 minutes. Serve hot.Makes 10 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page