Fenwick Catering Red Beans and Rice
- 1 lbs dried red kidney beans
- 2 quarts water
- 6 Tbsp bacon drippings, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 6 to 8 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes, chopped (reserve juice)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 lbs diced ham
- 2 lbs hot smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked rice
Wash and pick over dry beans. Combine with 2 quarts water and soak overnight.
In a pot, heat 4 tablespoons bacon drippings. Add garlic and chopped vegetables; sauté lightly. Add remaining water.
Drain beans and add to pot. Stir in pepper flakes and thyme leaves. Bring mixture to a slow boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
In a skillet, sauté ham and sausage with remaining bacon drippings. When meat is lightly browned, add to stockpot. Continue cooking for about 45 minutes, or until beans are tender but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper and, if desired, more red pepper flakes. Serve with rice.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page