Houston's Canadian Cheese Soup
- Source: Houston's Restaurant
1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup carrots, 1/8-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup celery, 1/8-inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped fine
- Diced tomatoes or diced jalapeño chiles (for garnish)
Melt the margarine in a Dutch oven. Add the carrots, onions and celery all at once and sauté until soft but not brown. Add flour (see note) and stir to combine. Cook until mixture begins to turn a light-brown color.
Over medium high heat, add the chicken broth a little at a time. Stir and continue to cook and stir with a whisk until a thick base if formed.
Add half-and-half, being careful not to let it boil. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Just before serving add parsley. Garnish with diced tomatoes and jalapeños, if desired.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page