Luby's Cafeteria Spanish Indian Baked Corn
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 pound butter plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can cream-style corn
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 Tbsp diced jalapeños
- 2 Tbsp diced pimentos
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups corn bread muffins, 1 crumbled and divided
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes until low heat. Set aside.
In a medium size pan, melt the 1/4 pound of butter. Add the milk, corn, jalapeños, pimentos, salt and sugar. Heat the mixture over low heat.
Add the bacon/vegetable mixture and 1 cup of the corn bread muffin crumbs to the corn mixture. Heat well, stirring frequently.
Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square x 1 1/2-inch deep pan. Moisten the remaining corn bread muffin crumbs with the remaining butter and sprinkle on top of the corn mixture.
Bake in a preheated, 350° F oven until the crumbs are light brown.Makes 8 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page