The Lady and Sons Tomato Grits
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- 4 tsp processed Cheddar cheese, cubed (suggested: Velveeta)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles (suggested: Ro-Tel)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Add the salt and slowly add the grits and return to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. While stirring the grits add the 1/2 cup of butter and stir until butter is melted. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the grits are thick and creamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
Using a skillet, sauté the onions in the remaining Tbsp of butter for 1 minute. Add the processed cheese, garlic powder, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar, and onions to grits, and stir until the cheese is melted. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Pour the grits into a greased 8 by 11 by 2-inch casserole and bake for 40 minutes.
Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over the casserole for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.Makes 8 to 10 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page