Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano Penne Bolognese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 lbs Italian sausage, half hot and half sweet
- 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 28-oz. cans of imported pear-shaped tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lbs cooked penne pasta
- Fresh parsley and grated fresh Parmesan cheese for garnish
Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the carrots and onions, then stir in the sausage and ground beef.
Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until done, then drain the mixture.
Stir in the wine and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until all the wine has evaporated. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano, and heat again to boiling.
Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toss with one pound of penne pasta, garnish with parsley and Parmesan and serve.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page