McGeary's Guinness Black Bean Chili
- 4 cups black beans (cover beans in Guinness and soak for 24 hours)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 Tbsp dark chili power
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups crushed, whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
- 2 Tbsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 pint Guinness stout
After beans have soaked, drain, then cook beans in water for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until tender. Set aside.
In a deep saucepan, brown beef in oil, then strain the oil. Add cumin and chili powder and cook 4 to 5 minutes.
Add Guinness, tomatoes, Tabasco, black pepper, salt and cheese, bring to boil and let simmer for 45 minutes. Add black beans. More Guinness may be added if chili reduces too much.
This chili is medium hot. Heat can be increased or decreased by adjusting amounts of Tabasco or jalapenos.
Garnish with fresh parsley, chopped green onion and shredded Cheddar cheese.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page