Miss Mary Bobo's Black-Eyed Pea and Rice Salad
- 3 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- 3/4 cup long-grain rice
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup cucumber, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 or 2 jalape?o chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook black-eyed peas and rice in boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse with cold running water. Drain well; place in large bowl.
Cook bacon in large skillet over medium high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp.
Remove bacon from skillet; drain on paper towels. Add onion to bacon drippings in skillet; cook over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
Add garlic; cook an additional 1 minutes. Stir in vinegar and sugar. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add onion mixture to black-eyed peas and rice. Stir in all remaining ingredients except bacon. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
Before serving, top with bacon. Serve chilled or at room temperature.Makes 12 (1/2-cup) servings Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page