Murphy's Restaurant Tortilla Soup
- 2 ears corn, cut off kernels to make 1 cup corn
- 2 Tbsp sweet butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup Anaheim chile peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 quart) chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups tortilla chips, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
Cut raw kernels off of corn cob with a sharp knife.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrots, chile pepper and corn. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent.
Stir in the cumin, chili powder and oregano and continue stirring another minute to toast the spices. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock cilantro and chicken. Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, distribute the broken tortilla chips equally in the bottom of soup bowls, ladle the soup over them and garnish each bowl with cheese.Makes 4
Submitted by: Arizona Republic, Phoenix, AZ Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page