Pacific Time Tamarind Barbecue Sauce
- 14 ounces pure tamarind concentrate
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup medium-sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3 Tbsp Indian curry powder
- 3 Tbsp dark-roasted chili powder
- 1/4 cup kim chee sauce (see note)
- 1 tsp dried chipotle, ground
- 3/4 cup hot, light brown caramel (recipe follows)
In nonreactive bowl, whisk together tamarind, garlic, red pepper, soy sauce, paprika, curry powder, chili powder, kim chee sauce and chipotle. Transfer to nonreactive saucepan. Simmer 10 minutes.
Slowly whisk in 3/4 cup hot caramel. Simmer 10 minutes. Skim particles that float to top. Pass through fine chinois or double-mesh strainer. Cool in water bath. Refrigerate.
NOTE: A mixture of 1/4 cup ketchup and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper sauce may be substituted for kim chee sauce.
Light brown caramel: In heavy 3-quart. pot, combine 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar and 4 ounces water. Cook over high heat until caramel is light brown. It is important to add caramel to as soon as it is ready so it doesn't burn or harden.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page