Sam's Cafe Poblano Chicken Chowder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 to 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 3 to 4 medium onions, peeled and cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 bunch celery, trimmed and cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/2 lbs poblano peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 7 oz chicken base
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 Tbsp ground white pepper
- 1/8 cup red hot sauce
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken breasts, cubed and grilled
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced, for garnish
Make a roux by combining flour and butter in a heavy pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Do not let brown.
Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add carrots, onions, celery, garlic, poblano peppers, cumin and thyme. sauté 8 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are slightly softened. Add chicken base, water and white pepper. Cook until carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Whisk in roux and cook 5 minutes longer, stirring often. Remove from heat. Add hot sauce. Mix well and allow to cool.
Before serving, add cream and chicken and heat through. Garnish with cilantro.
Approximate values per serving: 507 calories; 46 g fat; 137 mg cholesterol; 7 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 81 percent calories from fat/p>
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page