Summerfield's Tortilla Soup
- 1 1/2 tsp butter
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, julienned
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeds and veins removed) chopped fine
- 2 1/2 cups canned Italian tomatoes, crushed
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, divided
- 3 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and julienned
- Salt, to taste
- 3 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried until crisp
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
Heat butter and oil in a heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add chopped jalapeño, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, oregano and 1/2 bunch cilantro. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Stir in julienned poblano peppers and salt to taste. Divide among large soup bowls. Garnish with tortilla strips and top with Monterey Jack cheese and remaining cilantro sprigs. Makes 6 servings.
To roast poblano peppers: Place peppers on a hot grill or under a broiler in the oven. Heat until outside of pepper begins to blister. Place peppers in a bowl and wrap tightly with plastic. Let cool and remove from bowl and peel skin off under running water. Be careful not to touch your eyes or face while doing this.
To fry tortilla strips: Cut each tortilla into long, thin strips. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Carefully drop strips into hot oil and fry until golden, about 30 seconds. Remove and let cool on paper towels.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page