Sylvia's Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 oz elbow macaroni (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 oz sgrated Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups), divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp yellow food coloring (optional)
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Cook macaroni in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Drain well and pour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in butter, 1 1/4 cups milk, eggs, 1 3/4 cups grated cheese, salt, pepper, sugar and food coloring (if using). Mix well and transfer to a 1 1/2-quart oval baking dish. Pour the remaining 1/4 cup milk over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Bake until top crust is golden brown and casserole is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.Makes 4 Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page