Tarbell's Mark's Sunday Meatballs
- 2 Tbsp Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 lbs ground veal
- 1/4 lbs ground pork or pork sausage
- 2 1/2 white onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup organic, whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pinch ancho chili powder
- 1/2 egg yolk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 slice nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 organic tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup spring water
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
Mix meats, eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, 1 clove garlic, ancho chili powder, 1 pinch black pepper, 1 Tbsp kosher salt, bacon and 2 onions in a large bowl; form into large meatballs.
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a heavy, deep pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the meatballs; sear, then reduce heat and sauté them as you prepare the sauce.
In a soup pot, sauté 1/2 onion in 2 Tbsp olive oil until transparent. Add 2 cloves garlic, mushrooms, 1 pinch black pepper, soy sauce, tomatoes, 1 pinch kosher salt, balsamic vinegar, water and oregano; mix to combine. Place seared meatballs in the sauce. Reduce heat; cook uncovered 1 1/2 hours or until the liquid has reduced by half.
Remove the meatballs; set aside.
Using a food processor or blender, purée the sauce in batches. Return sauce and meatballs to the pot. Serve over freshly cooked pasta.Makes Source:
Submitted by: Recipe Group Member
Print This Page